Disqus for Where Are My Knees

Low fat prawn curry

Tuesday 21 January 2014

I always struggle to think of new things to cook and my small repertoire of dishes can get a little dull so I wanted to try something new. It's freezing cold outside at the moment so I thought a spicy curry would be a perfect new dish to try. I picked up some lovely fresh prawns to make this but you could use whatever you have in the freezer. Curries are a great way to use up leftover vegetables and this one can be frozen so you could make a huge batch and then get one out of the freezer when you're too busy to cook.

It's a very tasty recipe and is quick to make so it's perfect for a mid week Indian feast. It's really adaptable so if you're veggie you could add some cauliflower or butternut squash to this. For those on the Weight Watchers plan you could skip the rice and add even more zero point vegetables for a filling but low point meal. I also think this recipe is a great way to sneak vegetables into your diet if you're not too keen on them.

I work this out at roughly 220 calories per serving and the recipes serves 4. Adding 200g of brown rice will add another 215 calories.

You will need:

  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 400g king prawns
  • 1 yellow pepper
  • 4 large tomatoes
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • large piece ginger, crushed
  • 4 garlic cloves, crushed
  • ½ red chilli, finely chopped
  • Pinch or two of sugar
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tbsp garam masala (I didn't have any so put some curry powder in which had a similar blend)
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 400g can chopped tomatoes
  • small bunch coriander, chopped. I only had dried so used that.
  • brown rice to serve


    Method

    Heat the oil in a deep pan and cook the onion until it starts to turn golden and translucent. Add the ginger, garlic and chilli and cook for 1-2 mins. Stir in the sugar and spices for 1 min, then add the tinned and fresh tomatoes and the peppers. Season with sea salt and simmer for 5 mins, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Stir in the prawns, reduce the heat and cook for 8-10 mins until cooked through. Remove from the heat, stir though most the coriander.

    Serve with rice or naan. Yum!

4 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious gem! Ill be making it!
    Sophie
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was very nice and would fit in well with your WW plan :) x

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, this looks amazing! I'm a pescetarian, so I always love finding healthy new seafood recipes to try, and this is definitely going on my list xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum I'm going to have to give this a go and could easily make it Slimming World friendly :) x

    Leanne - A Slice of My Life

    ReplyDelete