Disqus for Where Are My Knees

Overnight Oats

Friday 9 August 2013

If you follow me (@amilliondresses) on twitter or instagram you will have noticed that I have started  eating numerous varieties of overnight oats for breakfast.  I have been asked if it is like cold porridge and the answer is NO! It isn't like hot porridge either to be honest.  It is rich and creamy and very filling and the best bit is there are so many flavour options you can't possibly get bored. 

The basic ingredients are oats, yoghurt and milk and you can flavour it with whatever fruit you fancy.


I take a 2/3 cup of oats, add 2 tablespoons of chia seeds and then mix with yoghurt, almond milk and fruit.   For this one I have chosen to use peach yoghurt and add sliced peaches.


I add the yoghurt to the dried ingredients and give it a mix.  I then add almond milk by sight.  I want it too be slightly runny as the oats absorb the liquids overnight which is what causes them to soften


You can of course eat it in the bowl you make it in! I transport mine to work with me so a pretty jar works well for me.  I have put half of the oats into the jar, added a layer of peaches and then topped with the rest of the oats.  I love digging down and getting big chunks of juicy fruit.


I have tried quite a few flavour combinations, these are my favourite:

Oats, natural yoghurt, almond milk, chia seeds, honey & lots of blueberries

Oats, cherry yoghurt, chia seeds, almond milk, cocoa nibs & cherries

Oats, natural yoghurt, chia seeds, honey, almond milk and raspberries

Oats, natural yoghurt, almond milk, almond butter, chia seeds, honey and topped with banana

The opportunities are endless!  If you have tried it let me know what you think and if you have found the most amazing flavour combination please share with me in the comments.

10 comments:

  1. I love raspberries with mine, sultanas, honey, oats and yoghurt with some flaxseed on top. I have purchased some almond milk to try as mine ends up being quite thick with just the yoghurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love overnight oats! They're great if you have a busy morning the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been a bit short of fresh fruit and interesting things recently so I've been pretty boring with mine but I must say that oats, soya milk, soya yoghurt, a dash of vanilla essence and two tsps of raspberry jam is DELICIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried this before (mainly because I thought it would taste like cold porridge!) but now that I know it doesn't I'm gonna give it a try - it sounds so tasty! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your overnight oats always look amazing! I want to try chia seeds, I've heard they're so good for you, but they seem quite pricey! I guess the bag lasts a while though? I need to start more flavour combos - so far I've just done raspberry, blueberry, apple & cinnamon and plain with honey! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love over night oats, yours look so pretty in the jars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummmm! I love the stickers on the jars too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard so much about these but have always worried be too much like porridge, I may have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep seeing and meaning to make overnight oats, love porridge so sure will like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love overnight oats, never thought of taking them in jars to work, stealking that idea for my 8 weeks of night that are fast approaching!zx

    ReplyDelete