Disqus for Where Are My Knees

Guest Post - Samantha from MinnyBites

Saturday 12 November 2011

Hi there everyone!

For anyone who doesn’t know me (which is most of you) my name is Samantha and I’m from the blog MinnyBites where everything is delicious in a mini-bite. Now I must admit that I had a lot of trouble with this task because if you’ve ever read my blog you’ll notice that I adore butter. I worship at the alter of caster sugar and I bow down in front of full fat milk. For a long time I believed that dieting was a myth, and then I discovered Where Are My Knees? and I saw that dieting is a massive market. It’s a whole community of people striving to eat better and to feel better...so when Gemma suggested a guest spot, I was like “Oh hell yes”.

This recipe was inspired by my mother. She is a diabetic and normally can only comment on the look of my cupcakes and treats while she has to leave it to my father And myself to taste and enjoy the treats. So it meant a lot to me to produce something she could actually eat.
Let me explain that, depending on who you speak to, diabetics are allowed honey in moderation and a small amount of fat. In fact, my mother finds that a small amount of fat in her diet helps with the feeling in her feet and so this recipe was perfect for her!  I hope you like it too.

Ingredients:
120g Flour
40g Low Fat Margarine or Butter
1 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 Tbsp Honey
1 Banana Crushed
1 Egg
120ml Semi or Skimmed Milk


Method:
1. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and cinnamon together in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the margarine or butter and using either a handheld mixer or an electric mixer allow the ingredients to mix until you get a sandy consistency. If it starts to cream together then don’t panic, its just because the margarine is softer than a normal full fat butter. It’s real life. It happens.
3. In a separate bowl, mash the banana and add the honey. You don’t have to mix this up too well because it’s going to mix in the dry ingredients.
4. Slowly but gradually add the milk to the dry ingredients while mixing. It is important to beat at a medium speed to get everything combined at a good rate but don’t get too cocky, keep to a speed that you’re comfortable with. You need to be in control of your kitchen equipment.
5. Add the egg to your mixture while beating it.
6. Lastly, add the banana and honey to your mixture and beat until well combined.
7. Bake in cupcake cases at 170 degrees C for 12 – 15 minutes depending on your oven.




Right, now, I like to top these with whipped cream (hence the chat about the fat). You can either use single or double cream depending on what level of fat you’d like and if this is going to be a blow out treat or something a little more conservative. I also added a bit of cinnamon to the whipped cream to give it some flavour but you can also beat some mascapone or cream cheese to the cream. The topping can be your own completely.
I really hope you like this recipe and that it goes well for you too!




Samantha has a project called Let Them Eat Cake and if you would like to find out more about this click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment